CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Inspiring or Devastating?

We are all too familiar with the words of wisdom that the fertile crowd shower upon us and also all too familiar are the stories of those who couldn't get pregnant and then miraculously did. I have one of those stories to share. Although, while some may find this story to be a perfect ending or simply amazing. I find it to be just another nail in my increasingly closing coffin.

My husband's boss at work is in his mid to late 40's and so is his wife. A while back, the hubby has been to the bosses house to do some tile work for him. He came home and told me how they have like 5 or 6 dogs that are all the same breed and how they have pictures of them everywhere ect.. Sound familiar anyone? I know that theme all too well. It just so happens MY house is adorned with such decoration and dog hair. Not 5 but still. For obvious reasons we drew our own conclusions.

So just a week ago or so his boss announces to the group that he and his wife are expecting and she is 39 weeks along!!! What.the.hell? He goes on to tell them that they had tried for 20 years to have children. Wait..what? did.you.say 20 YEARS??

Turns out they couldn't get pregnant despite almost 10 years of trying. They then turned to adoption and after driving for 8 hours to pick up their little bundle at the hospital, the mother changed her mind. They decided they would never do that again.

They found out she was pregnant when she went for a final PAP before her SCHEDULED hysterectomy! They were afraid to tell anyone for obvious reasons and decided to keep it to close family and friends until now. At 39 weeks pregnant with a baby girl.

And...I am ELATED for them. I really am. What pisses me off about this story is how everyone is making such a big deal about how WONDERFUL this news is. Which it is. But no one has yet to recognize the pain these 2 people endured prior to this wonderful news. Like somehow all that pain is erased by this most joyous news. I assume that it lessens but I don't feel like it will ever just dissipate. How sad to be so scared that you didn't tell people for your entire pregnancy.

My husband told me this story like it would be the best news of my life. Like somehow hearing that these poor people went through 20 years of treatment and failed adoption attempts to finally get pregnant in their mid to late 40s would give me renewed hope for myself. This is an incredibly sad story and thank GOD it has a happy ending. But to me...it's more devastating than inspiring. What do you think?

2 comments:

Reproductively Challenged said...

I think its some of both, overall inspiring though, to me, it just reminds me that sometimes you can do everything in your power and as painful as it is, sometimes some our lives paths are just out of our control.
Imagine their joy when they had undoubtedly accepted their life without children, I can't even fathom the joy they must be feeling now the baby is almost here. Does it cancel out all of their pain, fear and suffering? Of course not, will it all be worth it, I bet if you asked them, they'd say absolutely. Congrats to them!

Nicole said...

yeah. I know what you are saying. I guess I am just so sick of everyone looking at the positives of these stories and acting like I should be so happy because 20 years from now that could be me.

I am SOOO very happy for them and I am sure that they will say it was all worth it. I'm sure it is and I bet I would say the same thing.

Maybe I am just selfish but I find it so discouraging to hear stories like this. It's my worst nightmare to end up dealing with infertility for 20 years. Ultimately, there won't be a darn thing I can do about it. Maybe that's why it's so hard. Because....ultimately...it really could be me. Maybe I should be grateful for that hope. I just can't help but imagine how awful the next 17 years would be like.